Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Tsingy

These were made famous towards the end of the eighties. They made a National Geographic centerfold and a Nicolas Hulot documentary. Together with lemurs and baobabs, documentaries about Madagascar like to focus on these formations. A few examples can be found around the country, but these are the most impressive. Seeing Hulot's documentary over ten years ago is one of the main reason behind my trip.See the vegetation protruding? The Tsingy rise up to 70 meters from the ground. At these heights, the tops are bare, but at lesser heights, one doesn't see the Tsingy, just a green forest that has its roots tens of meters below. Walking through the Tsingy, one experiences two world; the heat and the stark reflections of the Tsingy top; and the cool tunnels and caves of the bottom.
One of the girls I visited the Tsingy with had vertigo. Crossing this bridge was an achievement!
See the different levels? They are due to the different movements of the sea. The shape of the Tsingy is due to the acidity of thousands of rainfalls. The Tsingy are so named after the Malagasy expression "tsingy tsingy" which means walking on the toe of your feet. They are very sharp; running my hand on an edge, I cut my thumb as I would with a razor. And when hit softly, they ring metallically.
This is the view from the underworld. See the length of the root.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted
of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Feel free to visit my site: get short term loans online