Thursday, August 10, 2006

Baobab II: the famous avenue

The avenue of baobabs. Certain japanese tour operators stop in Madagascar for one night to see these baobabs. Then off they are to another fancy African destination. This is a touristy spot but it deserves to be so.A zebu cart and baobabs in the background. Spot my shadow. Zebu carts are all over Madagascar. They're cheap and they work well. It's the one vehicle I didn't take.
I said it was touristy, I know, but we are in the low season, and Madagascar only gets 200,000 tourists a year. That was last year; this year doesn't seem as good, but I don't have the numbers. I've been told that Japanese buses come for the sunset a few times a week; the Japanese are clad in all white. Give them a white mask and throw them in a hospital. Germs can be scary.
Another daily reality of the Malagasy bush: zebu herds. They are everwhere. A zebu is much like a cow except for the hump. For many ethnies, they are a source of wealth. A very good zebu can cost up to 400 euros.
Just a tree. For photographers, the shots I took on Agfa film turned out significantly better than the ones on Fuji. I'd like to understand why.

No comments: