Thursday, August 10, 2006

Baobabs I

You've heard of them, there they are. Madagascar has six of the eight existing species of baobabs. The other two are in Africa for one and Australia for the other. I saw most of them North and South of Morondava on the West Coast.You could fit ten people arm stretched around this monster. I was sitting at the front of a truck when I saw it. The driver saw my expression and stopped for me to take a photo. I thought I was pretty far from it, but not far enough to fit it all in my lens!
Near Belo sur mer, there is this little village set amongst a baobab forest. During the day everyone is working the salines. With two fellow travellers, we hiked to this village and walked around; I felt like it was all out of a fairy tale. If only there had been wolves...

No comments: