Thursday, April 21, 2005

Updates on Africa and life in general

Since my last post, a few things have happened. For one, I turned 21. A big thing here in the US. If you scroll down, you'll see a selection of photos from that night. For another, I have been working a fair amount, both schoolwork and my internship. But good news, they bought me a ticket for Vegas: I am going to Hoover Dam to try to establish better management techniques. Really I am providing support for a panel of experts.

I have kept on doing a lot of research on my African adventure. The more I research, the more feasible it becomes. There is a cloud surrounding Africa, and it takes some efforts to see past the smoke. But the glimpses I have had make me long for more. I recommend this site for a good selection of photos and stories. For the photos, go on slideshow, and click on countries you are interested in. Some of these photos are very beautiful.
Today I spoke to a man from Cameroon. I told him my father's initial opinion: that Africa is dangerous; that there are man out there ready to kill you just because you are white. He told me that was not true. That visitors had it differently. Africa is politically unstable, but most parts are very safe. He is a security guard here. He said: "Africa is like DC, you know. This is the most dangerous city in the United States, but if you are careful this is OK. You just have to avoid the bad parts. My wallet was stolen twice here. I just gave it to them. Same thing in Africa. Most places are great."
"Can I avoid the bad places and go through Africa?"
"Yes, absolutely. No problems. There are a few places. Now, the worst is the Ivory Coast."
"What about Darfur?"
"Yes, Sudan too. There has always been conflict there."
I asked him about another of my father's argument:
"Could it be that people who tell us Africa is safe were just lucky and that there are many who weren't so lucky?"
He thought for a bit. "There was this French woman in Cameroon. She came with her boyfriend. And she went to this meat market, where there are lots of people haggling. She was accosted by a few people. They asked her for her money. She didn't give it to them, so she died. The director of security, our FBI, was fired over that. It was because some other ambassadors heard complaints. But it happens. Just give them your wallet."
It sounds very similar to what happens here. Although, the news stations are so sensationalistic that they only care about little girls abducted and killed. The US is phased about ordinary murder.

Good advice, I would say. He also reckons it is better to be there with someone else. Which I should, if James does not pike.

I welcome comments, but please, before raising all sorts of alarms, read through some of the sites I have listed.

No comments: