Saturday, April 09, 2005

Trans-African trip

I am receiving a bit of negative feedback on this travel concept. Apparently, I have travelling bolemia and I will get myself killed so they can steal my bike within three kms of the start. But others try to put the whole idea in perspective; Africa is not Australia, yes, it is dangerous at times and roads are not always safe.
I would like to say that this idea is not unreasonable. I am doing my research. For one thing I will not be the first to do it. It has been done many times before, and people who have done it unanimously state that the trip was surprisingly safe, and that all the problems they heard about didn't show up.
Check this website out:
http://www.adventure-motorcycling.com/trip/index.htm
then click on Africa in the frame on the right. A list should pop up on the left frame: choose something like what I am planning. Click on a few. Some guy there only learned to ride a bike a week before setting out. I will be more prepared.
Here is another site:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
I have also bought a couple of guide books:
Africa by Road -- Bradt guidebooks
Africa on a shoestring -- Lonely Planet

So check this resources out and tell me what you think.

Another point: I have travelled a little bit: I am used to changing situations, and I can usually handle them. The cultural shock doesn't worry me.

No comments: