Sunday, November 28, 2004

What transpired on the week-end

I spent the last few days in the semblance of a ghost town. The only real conversation I had with members of the community was with a man who claimed his name was Karl, and that he was a Marxist. I declined his invitation to dinner; he laughed like a maniac and left.
This Marxist, I have observed, has attached himself to a girl who is very fond and proud of her pink clothes collection; perhaps his sacrifice, for it is one to rid the population of this girl, is his first contribution towards the common good. Before it, the pink-wearer, aptly named Madeleine, had come and presented herself, and a friend of the same kind, to me. She had sat down and crossed her anorexic legs appropriately, and had spoken of little things. She is Australian, she says. And in a way she is, but I prefer to see her as a blight on all of us, not just on Australia. But this gentle Karl has wooed her with his maniac laugh, and his constant flow of insults, and now she does not come to my door anymore.

As I said in the previous post, most of my friends went home for the week-end. At this hour, none of my suitemates are back. But the building is filling up. Two friends, from all I know in Davis, stayed back:
Thomas, of which I have extensively talked about. He was my host for the first few weeks of my stay in the US. He is going to Australia for a year soon; off to Wollongong on exchange.
Hayley, a girl which I have briefly mentioned before; she is a potential snowboarding partner. A charming girl working hard to get into vet school.

I spent Thursday, the actual Thanksgiving day with Thomas. He took me to his grandmother's place, where we had a family dinner. And what a family! It is a credit to Thomas that he has come out alright. His mother came out briefly, to demand that we turn off the lights. When she saw me, she came and gave me a hug; a strange kind too; she snuggled up against my chest, and held herself tightly for a few seconds. I did not know what to do. Thomas was ashamed but I did not want to give him reason to be, so I was very civil to his mother, without returning that same longing contact. She did not have dinner with us; instead she stayed in her room, in the dark, and watched TV, while Thomas, his grandmother and I ate in the living room. Thomas' grandmother is the picture of the benevolent loving woman. She can't shake hands; it makes her emotional; she kisses people. She walks slowly around the house, preparing food, petting the cats, arranging the table, and making sure that Thomas has all he needs. She speaks slowly, and then only to say pleasant things; when her daughter comes out and turns off the light, she calmly lets her, and turns them back on after she's left.
Thomas said: "I have a simple family", and he does, but of what contrasts! His grandmother practically raised him; he tells me that he goes home to see her. He calls his mother 'Jill', and his grandmother 'Grandma'. His sister is off somewhere in the army. His father his elsewhere again. I don't really remember where. But Thomas has come out the stronger for all this. He stands upright, remains largely unphased through most situations, and knows when to offer a helping hand.
Dinner itself was largely uneventful; I ate the American way. I stuffed my plate with every dish but pie; mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, fruit salad, olives, bread, and more than I can recall. Apparently, had I been a good American, I would have had a few servings; one was more than enough. I couldn't move for a few hours afterwards.

It was when Thomas dropped me off that I met Karl the Marxist. The rest of the days were spent largely by myself, and sometimes in the company of Hayley. A very pleasant company for sure. My plans of going snowboarding never came through; and for the better, since I went to a traditional thanksgiving dinner instead.

Now since I have started this post, and through the many interruptions that have come my way, three of my suitemates have come back. There is noise in this place. And it finally dawned on me that I really should be doing some homework. Ah well, I am sure that I'll find time to do it all.


Something else: something a bit random: browsing through the firefow crew's picks, I have found http://www.bartleby.com/ Entire books are available for free; and good ones too, mainly classics.
I have been reading Pride and Prejudice; it is very enjoyable. Jane Austen makes usual events very interesting; she understands the motives and drives behind all our little actions, and she exposes them shamelessly. It is like watching a play, and knowing the why of everything.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Albert,

this is probably irrelevant to this entry but you already told me about your Thanksgiving with Thomas.
so it reminded me to ask, did you find the answer you were looking for? in regards to your need for a "better understanding".
coincidently, i just bought Pride and Prejudice last week. yet to start.
by the way, i'm sure you won't be posting your story online... just let me know, i'm bound to forget.

you should know who this is ( :P )

Anonymous said...

Maybe meeting girls like Madeline (not that I am saying she's not a nice girl, I'm sure she is) makes me just a little more refreshing, being not quite the girly girl that I am. :)

It's funny how some of the most normal people you know can come from slightly mal-adjusted families (to mean no offense to Thomas, but we have a similar friend here: Ian. Not quite the 2.3 children household). I don't think anyone really comes from a "normal" home life. Who says what's normal? Although I do admit, it must have been difficult for him to have grown up like that.

Can't say I read much anymore, to tell the truth; the last book I read fully was "Messiah" by Boris Starling, a British author. Not a pretty book, but so well-written that it is one of the few that I can read over and over again.

Everything's doing well over here, we have results back (hooray!). I got three 5's and a 7 (the 7 for maths, shock horror). So I never have to do catchment, design or 3rd year traffic again, much to my relief. I'm not sure what the others got, except Stargate got 4 in design and 5 in catchment which he was disappointed about. Stargate and Creagh came in to the video shop the other night, so it was good to catch up with them. I have been meaning to catch up with Krissy, but she works a lot and I have found myself busy of late.

I'm thinking of having a small gathering at Joey's for a few of the uni people next Thursday night, it's not planned yet so I'm not sure if it's even going ahead. My little brother had his graduation ceremony for grade 7 last night; he won the LOTE (Languages Other Than English) award, for Japanese, which he was most excited about. It was a bit of a shame that in his speech the superlative he kept using was "wonderful"; his parents were "wonderful", his family was "wonderful", his teachers were "wonderful". Ah, the days of primary school speeches.

My other little brother (the 14 year old) is going to Carols by Candlelight at City Hall on Saturday night. With all his grade 12 friends. He's very excited about it, seeing as it's the first time he's really been part of a group. I can understand where he's coming from, so I sympathise and hope he has a great time.

I'm doing fine, haven't started working up at Caboolture yet, seeing as I have to earn another $500-odd to get Youth Allowance. Once I qualify, things will be less hectic (next week I have 5 nights at work), so I just want to be able to relax a little and actually get paid to do it!!

Joey's good, he started his promotion yesterday, and it was a busy day; hopefully they won't all be like that. His sister Annabelle is going to a prestigious drama school next year (she's in grade 12), which she was excited about getting into. His brother Daniel is ok, recovering from testicular cancer. He didn't need chemotherapy which was a relief for him and his family, means he'll be fine for Christmas.

Anyways, I think that's a sufficient update for you now, keep posting on here and I'll keep reading.

Cheers, Lys.