Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Opportunities

I am now at my twelfth educational instituiton. Every change offers new opportunities. Realising that has made this trip very interesting so far.

I have started a project in marketing. 13 of us market credit education, and citibank as a responsible lender. Together, we spend time bickering. In little groups we decide what will happen.
http://citibankproject.blogspot.com/
And tomorrow is our first event: we will have a workshop style place where we will teach students about credit. We offer them free food so that they want to come in.
I am in charge of strategy for this campaign, and I've found it very interesting. I've looked at our group's resources, strengths, opportunities and weaknesses to work out the most effective strategy. An effective strategy maximises the number of impressions given specific resources. Impressions are estimated by surveying the student population after the campaign, and finding out how many know of our efforts.
Managing people is harder than I thought. No one likes receiving orders, but no one likes to do any work, and no one does any work unless they are given orders.

Saturday I went snowboarding. One of the resorts I have a season pass to opened early. The snow cover was decent, and I was able to test my new board. I am not going to go into much detail. That would make some of you envious otherwise. Apparently the season will be great this year.

In the spring I am going to go to Washington DC. I had an interview for it today. They had fourty applicants for fourty-five places. They like to act like they can choose among us. And we pretend along with them. But they have a quota to fill and we know that. Going to DC is another of these great opportunities: I intern into a company/organisation of my choice, for four days a week, write a long paper for one day a week, and visit the rest of the time. And all that in the pleasant spring climate.

No comments: