Friday, December 03, 2004

Upcoming days

Schedule:
Friday: Snowboarding at boreal, into the night. Play squash with pretty girl at night.
Saturday: Snowboarding at Sierra-at-Tahoe. Possible fresh snow.
Sunday: Rest, Sleep, Study, Projects
Monday: Snowboarding at Northstar-at-Tahoe. Fresh snow. Come back, give a very long presentation to class (mini-lecture, my first of the kind). Prepare morrow's test
Tuesday: Test, and then catch up on sleep.

Oh what a schedule! Yes I agree. Strainous, but I don't mind. I am even looking forward to it. And so now I got to bed anticipating days of fun.

I finished Pride and Prejudice. I understand why this is a worldwide favourite. Jane Austen's judgement of character is one of the best I have read. Actions make sense, and their reason are so exposed that I could not prevent bursts of laughter. This is a writer who wouldn't write about men talking to men only scenes, because she had never witnessed them. And to this attention to details, we owe such works as P&P.
Jane Austen is from a different breed of writers; ones that don't believe deaths and explosions necessary to a good story. I have been appalled at the success of Dan Brown. But I am prejudiced. Deeply so. The Da Vinci code is written horribly; a formula applied constantly and consistently. I wish that good writers would come forth, and show the world that classics get written; that they are not just the product of another age.

PS: Does anyone have advice on giving lectures? I was told by the professor to tell what I thought would interest the class. This relates to the marketing project I have mentioned. Papa, you should know one thing or two about the subject; delivery and content. And most of you are students with opinions on the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

je suis admiratif de mon fils papa

Anonymous said...

..."Play squash with pretty girl at night"...

Man, have you found substitutes for even me in your life over there? And here was me thinking I was irreplaceable... :)
I have just actually been away myself over the past week or so, hence the somewhat slow replying, however I see you have also not been posting much. We went up to Bribie for the week, I am going to go and work up there in the New Year. I have little work on at the moment, what with Christmas on a weekend and all, it means we don't get those shifts so we have basically the free time to do what we will.

Tratt and Ian are planning a housewarming in the early part of January I believe; what time was it that you said you were coming back? I distinctly remember hearing you say you would be back in town for Chrissie, and it would be good to see you, so don't forget to let all of us know!

I haven't even finished all my shopping yet; isn't that bad! I still have another couple to get, so once I do that tomorrow I will be a lot happier. Christmas Day promises to be exciting; we (myself and Joey) are having brunch with my extended family and dinner with his parents and their friends. Sounds exciting, huh? Just a lot of running around though.

Anyways, hope you're doing well and I'll keep in touch, I promise.
--Lys--
Ps. hope your test goes well. No matter what your presentation is on, you'll nail it.