Friday, June 02, 2006

Bloody AZERTY! It looks like a good combination with more options than QWERTY but I keep on typing commas instead of m's and q's instead of a's...

I am in Tana in Madagascar. Because of this keyboard, I am not going to give you a story but rather a series of anecdotes and impressions.

The national airline is called Air Mad. They changed the name years ago from Mad Air.

When I arrived at the airport, I was glad to see that lines were not respected. Stand behind the yellow line? not in this country! I had a silly smile as I walked through customs. The custom officer told me that if I waited, he would take me to town for 100k fmg. I smiled and left, changed some money while fending off taxi touts, and finally readied myself to find a taxi. The information office quoted me some exhorbitant price, so I walked out of the terminal.
Taxi, 30k Ariary
Oh no that's too much
Come, come, I am official taxi
(Other taxi drivers join us)
It's too expensive, a friend (i invent him on the spot) told me between 10 and 15
15 here
14 here
12, come with me now, I take you for 12

The benefits of open competition

Malagasy people are friendly and very beautiful; I can honestly say there are more pretty girls here than anywhere else I've been. Unlike India, they are very open and quite flirty. Yesterday I went to a restaurant where I met 2 French guys and a Malagasy woman. It took me some time to understand that one man who had the looks of q friendly pappy was married to the Malgash woman. She was only 27. As one French guy put it: we all have wives 30 or 40 years younger.

I went to a cabaret with them afterwards. 10 girls to a man, all prettier than each other. Professionals I was told. If they dress like western girls, they're professional. One of the, approached me, and I couldn't say no to a conversation. Besides if she approaches me, she is flirting with me, and she is free. Morals get blurry. I understood half of what she said. Apparently I was married to the only normal Malagasy woman in the room, and I was going to buy her a drink, as dictated by my wife. Confusing times but a man is waiting for the internet behind me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian:
Sounds like a really nice place for you. If only it wasn't the whole being gay thing.

I figured for my first post I should say something provocative.

So just remember, its all fun and games until your boyfriend Billy reads this and gets angry.

Anonymous said...

But no worries, I won't cheat on you Ian, oops, I mean Billy.

When it comes to provocation, there's so much i see here I don't write about. It could be too provocative for our western culture.

Albert